Friday 9 March 2018

International Women's Day 2018 Portsmouth












International Women's Day 2018 Portsmouth

This year is the first time in a long time since we've had a week of activities for IWD, and this year was organised by various groups from across the city. The photo is from the Monday night dinner hosted by Pompey In the Community, at Fratton Park. Over 100 women from all over Portsmouth representing the rich diversity we have in Portsmouth came along, all active in community groups across the city.
The evening started with speakers, then progressed to curry (from the Akash on Albert Road), comedy, games, raffle and dancing... I led some folk dancing and circle dancing to conclude the evening. It was a wonderful evening with lots of talking and laughter.

I've been running community singing in Portsmouth for just over 12 years and it was nice to see some old friends at the event who were instrumental in my development as a choir leader, but also making new friends too. Personally, for me, this week has made me contemplate my beginnings, not really knowing what I was doing setting up a community choir as there wasn't one in Portsmouth, but knowing I had to do it, as I knew what great fun it was. Now there are lots of community focused singing and music groups, promoting good physical & mental health.

So, now I'm following my feet and community dance is definitely a new arena for me that I'm exploring. Dance is such a great way to mix people, to exercise, learn something new and have fun. Also, just like singing in harmony, it has this magic way of making deep connections within the individual, connecting our past and present, and reaching out to the group. It's about affirming the hear and now and creating better futures.

Since the event and my 'mini' singing workshop at the Cross Cultural Women's group at Friendship on the Wednesday, I've been invited to various women's groups in Portsmouth the lead some folk & circle dance, which I'm really looking forward to. A new chapter in Community arts in Portsmouth!



1 comment:

  1. Searching for ideas to make this international women's day special for all the working women in your organization? Here is the list of Women's day celebration ideas 2022 you can follow this year.

    ReplyDelete